06 June 2016

got some woodworking done


This weekend was productive in the garage.  I am making Paul Sellers wall clock.  I bought a nice pine board at a big box store that is good enough to make two of them.  Where possible I’m making at least two, if not three items in a row.  It allows me to practice the techniques and provides Christmas items for family and friends.  I have some observations:

1.       After 6 months, I am getting pretty good a sawing to or slightly proud of a line.  My first few saw cuttings 6 months ago were crooked.  I guess it was just a matter of practice.

2.      I still can’t plane an edge square but at least I have gotten good at the last 5 strokes at making it square.  I suspect this will get easier over time. 

3.      I am noticeable more comfortable at making dados.  My first project making a hand tool carrying tote really helped as I made three of those.

4.      I will have to watch my rabbit planning and grain direction as I had some tear out.  Using a knife in the newly formed groove helped but not after some noticeable side tear out. 

 

Next weekend I move onto cutting the tennons, rounding over the top and bottom and fitting the panel.  Working with wood and hand tools is fun and is better than sitting on the couch watching TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment