12 June 2021

My Favorite Tools

 As Covid shelter in place is starting to diminish and vaccinations are now fairly widespread, I have been starting to see my dad again.  Last year, I built two sized portable tool chests (medium and small).  Part of the reason was to be able to take tools to my dad's shop (an hour away) and woodwork there.  He is getting older and can't do as much as he used to but enjoys watching me wood work.  It also allows us to chat while doing something other than watch tv.



I had started purchasing tools to fill these chests thinking I would just having an independent set to take to my dad's place.  Lately, my thinking has changed.  It turns out the my favorite tools are the ones I use daily and has nothing to do with if they are premium or plain.  



For example, I have some premium and some inexpensive vintage hand planes.  My Craftsman brand No 4 hand plane gets used probably more than the others.  It gets used first to remove the bulk of the wood; then I used another hand plane to finish.  This approach (used by many craftsmen) stretches out the sharpness of the blades you finish with a bit longer.  As such, my favorite hand plane is my No 4 Craftsman without a doubt.  Why?  As I mentioned before, it gest the most use and feels like a good friend in my hand.  




I am not going to sell my extras as the collection hasn't gotten out of control.  However, when I travel, I will be packing up the tools I use daily used tools.  I am pleasantly surprised by this conclusion.  I didn't think this would be the case.  Curious if I am alone in this or not.  Looks like I will need another tool chest after all.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe
    Could not agreed more with what you wrote. Spending quality time with your Dad in the shop is much better than beside a TV. Lost my dad in 2006. The hardest to do was emptying the house for sale. Everytimes my brothers and I would go to his shop it triggered so much memories we could hardly picked up a tool without being lost in memories. All good, makes lot before you lose him.

    Take care
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. My great uncle, grandfather, and dad have all worked in the same shop. Heck, there are still chalk drawings on plywood from when I was a kid there. I try not to think about any of that.

    ReplyDelete