17 December 2022

My New Bandsaw Arrived

 As much as I like working with hand tools, I want a few machines.  High on that list has been a bandsaw.  There was a sale at Rockler over Black Friday weekend in which the Powermatic tools were 10% off and free shipping.  It's been at least two years since that deal has appeared.

As such, I bought the Powermatic PM1500.  It's their 15" bandsaw that is on the beefy side and has a 14"ish resaw capacity.  It's likely more bandsaw than I need.  Having said that, I'd rather argue did I spend more than I need vs. did I buy enough bandsaw.  Right now, it's shoved over to the side and over the holidays I will set it up.  I bought a Bora mobile base with a 20% off coupon while at Rockler on Black Friday for this.  




The only thing I really need now is proper dust collection. I have the money saved up.  It's just a matter of seeing if Onedia or ClearVue will have a sale.  Ideally, I'd like to save 10% off if I can on such a big purchase.  I'm willing to wait till mid Jun of next year if needed.  I think the economy will falter and there might be some incentive sales around the corner.  Planning to future proof myself a bit in terms of CFM, horsepower.  Fingers crossed.


After that, really, the only other tool I'd like to get for sure would be a drill press.  There are times when it would come in handy.  Fortunately, there are a lot to choose from and cost less than either the dust collector or bandsaw does so saving for it won't take that long either.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joe
    dust collection on a bandsaw is/can be a headache. Rob Cosman has a good way of collecting bandsaw waste. Might be worth while to check it out. The wood whisperer has a link to a Snodgrass (?) bandsaw set up that I used and it improved my bandsaw. Go luck with the new toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph. Snodgrass is having a bandsaw class at my local Woodcraft in early Jan. It's during the week so I need to see if I can get the day off. In theory, PowerMatic has worked on optimizing the dust collection for the bandsaw. I have one of those Dylos particulate counters so I will check before and after. Will watch Cosman videos as well.

      Delete
  2. If I had enough space, I'd get a bandsaw too as my only "tailed" tool. Regarding dust collection, if you've got a shop vac, that could be a nice choice until you get something more serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I'm glad I have the space for the bandsaw. I do have a shop vac so like you suggested, that's what I will do in the mean time. Fortunately, for the next few projects the wood is already dimensioned so I won't be needing the bandsaw much. Mostly set up and some test cuts to make sure it works properly.

      Delete