25 February 2023

scrub plane, way you do it, repurposing scrap wood

 I'm in the process of building a shaker side table.  It's been going well though I'm not ready to talk about the whole project as it's in process.  Today was a good day though.  I was able to use a scrub plane I had purchased back in Oct at a used collectors tools show.  I really like the old Stanley.  It's light weight really helped me in terms of stretching out how long I could plane the wood.  I had a 4" wide by 16" long piece of wood that I need to remove around 3/8" of wood.  I could have just as easily used my DeWalt 735 but I didn't want to use it.  Which leads to my next point.







Where I am happy in this build is I did it the way I wanted to do it.  I often find those little internal battles where I do something a certain way just because that's the way I want to do it very satisfying.  I wanted to do it by hand, and I did.  I will remember that in the future and it will bring a smile to my face.  On can argue that a bit of pine on the inside of a piece whose purpose is to just help the drawer have no sideways movement is important but inconsequential on how you get there. I would tend to agree.  Yet, I will always smile and quietly think to myself about that.  If it weren't for the fact I have a blog, no one but me would ever know of it as no point in telling anyone in my family.  Makes me wonder as I wander around looking at old furniture or old buildings of how many of these quiet, unspoken things there are that pleased the craftsperson.  I guess it's a perk of the job or trade.

The last thing I was happy with was the repurposing of a piece of pine I had laying about.  It was an offcut from when I made the Japanese carpenter's style tool box in 2020.  I have used this offcut for three other things including a backer board when chopping out waste on my chisels.  In my mind, this board was soon headed for either the fireplace or green waste as it was pretty banged up.  I was very happy that I found a purposeful life for it that will forever reside with the piece.  






Who knew a little scrap of pine could bring such joy to me.  And find some many uses.  And I would actually be able to find photos of such small obscure uses with it over the past three years.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joe
    scraps are wonderful and the reason why I hang on to even the smallest pieces. If you are going to do any thicknessing by hand getting a #6 would be a good addition to the herd. I rarely use my lunchbox planer to thin boards. I will only haul it out for doing a boatload.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My scrap pile has been growing for sure Ralph.

    I've been evaluating my tools and am thinking of swapping things out and working with some different ones. There is a PAST Tool Collector show near Salinas CA in about three weeks. Want a vintage No 3 and No 5. That No 5 could become a No 6. Will see what the show has to offer. Lots of hand planes at the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe, This is a little off topic, but I recall a while back you mentioned an interest in collecting craftsman planes. I have a couple you may be interested in adding to the collection, a number 7 size Joiner and a #78 copy.
    I don't care to publish my email address on your blog. Is there any way to contact you to discuss outside of blogger?
    Thanks,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dan, I can be reached at either Instagram joeleonetti1 or at joeleonetti@yahoo.com Would love to hear more about these tools. Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete