05 August 2023

For One Board, I Will Do It by Hand

 As part of the initial stages of the build for Becksvoort's 15 drawer chest, I need to thin down my 7/8" thick wood.  When I had a lot of boards to do, I used a planer.  I could have used the one I own (DeWalt 735).  However, I had access (because I was taking a class) to the Mount Diablo's Adult Education woodshop.  They have nice tools.  I think it took me all of 20 minutes to get this wood to desired thickness.  It would have taken many hours by hand and I wouldn't have enjoyed that much work.




Having said that, it doesn't mean I won't or don't want to thickness by hand.  I like being able to confirm from time to time that I can indeed do it by hand.  I just want to have a ton of donkey work to do.  As I was cutting up the boards, I realized that I needed to glue up some boards to get to the desired thickness.  No problem in doing that.  However, one of the boards I needed to use (for a different stash of wood I hadn't planed to use for this project) was 1/16" wider that the rest.  I could have wheeled out my DeWalt 735 but for one board, that seemed like a hassle.  As such, I did it by hand.  Took all of 20 minutes by hand.  I don't think between getting the DeWalt 735 out, hooked up to dust collection, running the piece, and putting everything back in place would have been much faster.  Plus, I got some good exercise.  As such, sometimes doing it by hand (for one board in this case) is just as quick.  For the initial batch of boards, hands down using the mahine was faster and appreciated.  To me it isn't either or for woodworking.  I do mostly prefer to use hand tools but will use machines when it makes sense or suits me.  Having said that, I really only have three machines in my garage, a band saw, planer, and mortiser (for if I have a lot to do).  A dril press is really the only other tool I think I want to get.  Time will tell.





No comments:

Post a Comment