14 July 2016

I think I have nearly all the tools I need for a lifetime of use


I think I’m nearly done with the tools I need (and want).  I did start off carefully and slowly buying the initial tools.  For about the first 4 months I had a truly minimal set.  Then, over the next 4 months or so, I flushed out the collection via eBay mostly.  I’m sure I could come up with more wants and needs but I don’t really have much desire.  At this point, I don’t feel that I am really lacking when it comes to making.  Mostly I want to save my money to buy wood to make stuff and to take training classes.  Below is what I still want to get and what I have.  Do you see any large gaps?  By the way, books don’t count.  I like books and I can easily see buying 20 or 30 wood books over the next couple of years.
 
What about power tools?  Well, for now I will hold off.  It's mostly a 3 to 5 micron wood dust thing that concerns me (probably will expand on at some point).  If I do get some power tools, I will first want a really good effective dust extraction system.  In terms of tools, I will most likely to with a ShopSmith Mark VII.  What I really like about it is that it doesn't take up too much space.  I have real issues with things take up lots of space.  I have the space mind you, I just hate filling it up.

 

 

Here's what is left on list of wants

  • Scrub plan (I do want to work from rough lumber)
  • Lie Nielsen dowel maker
  • Lie Nielsen tongue and groove all in one tool (have many book shelves to build and want to make it easy to construct the backs)
  • Sterling tool works robu curves
  • Saw tooth setter
  • A few more clamps (I only have four).
  • Miter saw and miter box

 

 
Here's what I have
Layout

  • 6” and 12” engineering squares
  • Sliding bevel “square”
  • Ruler
  • Tape measure
  • Marking knife
  • Two marking gauges
  • Dovetail marking guide
  • Compass
  • Dividers

 

Chisels

  • ¼”, ½”, ¾”, 1” bevel edge
  • ¼” and ½” mortise chisels
  • Number 8 straight gouge about 1&1/4”

 

Planes
  • No 4
  • No 4&1/2 (yes redundant and I would not own both again)
  • No 8
  • Large router
  • Small router
  • Plough plane and a beading bit
  • Spoke shave (two; again, made a mistake and really only need one)
  • Draw knife

 

Other stuff

  • Workbench
  • Hand drill and bits
  • 6” brace drill and bits
  • Scraper (that 3x5 ish piece of metal)
  • Dovetail saw
  • Tennon saw
  • Coping saw
  • Generic new saw that can’t be resharpened
  • Old Diston saw from back of my dad’s truck that needs to be restored
  • Diamond sharpening stones
  • Leather strop
  • Mallet
  • Square awl
  • Gauge to determine an angle
  • Screwdrivers
  • Safety glasses and ear plugs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment