17 January 2023

It Pays to Reread Books

 Recently, I have been experimenting with other finishes.  For the past 7 years, I have been focused on shellac and really like it.  I can't imagine changing but I want to see how oils (with and without shellac) look.  Lately, I have had a project with mahogany.  I want to find information on how to finish it with oils.  I spent a lot of time asking folks, searching the web, etc.  

I have just finished reading the latest issue from SAFPM and put it on my bookshelf.  In doing so, I noticed Bob Flexner's book on finishing.  I felt like an idiot.  I bought this book 5ish years ago and read it then.  I had completely forgotten about it.  Here I was searching for Mahagony finishes hither and yonder.  I opened Flexner's book and lo and behold, all kinds of helpful info.  I will go over the books on my bookshelf more frequently.  Never know what I may rediscover.













6 comments:

  1. Hi Joe
    we have a lot of the same books and I too forget what I have for resources there

    ReplyDelete
  2. When something is new, one tend not to pay attention to seemingly "small" details. Many times what we read makes sense only after a further reading; even more after we have tried to apply what we have retained from the first reading.
    That is why after viewing a Paul Sellers serie of videos for a project (looking for the broad aspect), I look at the full serie one or more additional times if I want to do this project. Then it pays to look again at them after having tried to replicate what he did.
    It also pays to read again his blogs. There are small nuggets drowned in more general considerations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when something is new, one has first to acquire the specific jargon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylivan, good point. I've reread the Anarchist's Tool Chest three times now. Each time, Chris has more detail in the book I can appreciate.

    Ralph, glad to hear you have a good library as well. I'm looking forward to building my living room into a ready room/library/study with Morris chair's etc. I had always thought I'd build it out of cherry. This Mahagony is growing on me. Good problems to have. At the rate I build things, the cost of the wood will likely be spread over at least three years so that helps if I go with mahagony. It goes on sale once a year at my local lumber store (25% off; MacBeath Hardwoods in Berkeley CA) so I can also time the purchases that way. Also, for only $75 they will deliver which is helpful on larger orders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've amassed quite a library. I'm intrigued by the Owen Jones Book on Ornament. That's one area I've struggled with. Can you tell me if it has been helpful to you in your projects and designs? Do you know of other books that help with ornament?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it used for $10. Many excellent woodworking books can be had for that price. I bought it so that I could have lots of images and designs if I wanted to build something with a certain period in mind. It seems to be helpful for carving patterns such as Follansbee does and less on furniture design. I really can't recommend it as a first tier woodworking book. I'm ok given what I paid for it. If I every downsized, it would probably be one of the first books to go.
      It is well written and has great images. I just don't think it will be as useful as I had hoped. I often will go to our local libraby and look at "art" books. Pick an era and a local library will be full of art books that show not only art but buildings and furniture. I think that would be a better approach. Hope this helps.

      Delete