21 January 2023

What A Difference Between iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 13

 For about the past 10 years, my personal cell phone was an iPhone 5.  Given the cost of "smart phones" I have elected to keep my iPhone 5 as long as possible.  In other words, I'd rather spend money on wood than a new phone.  Well, Verizon decided to discontinue some sort of 3G network my iPhone 5 needed to work.

To date, all of my photos for woodworking and what is posted on my blog and Instagram account, joeleonetti1@instagram.com, has been with my iPhone 5.  I have been happy with it and about once a week I download the photos onto my computer.  

I had planned to continue to use my iPhone 5 for wood photos.  However, since I no longer use it for a phone, it often has a discharged battery.  My work iPhone is an iPhone 13.  I have recently started using it to take wood working photos.  This past weekend I finally had a side by side comparison of iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 13.  Wow!  I didn't expect the difference to be so large.  First photo is iPhone 5 and the second one is the iPhone 13.  I think the resolution is diminished for the blog but  it is night and day difference in the photos on my computer.





The project is another (my 8th) Paul Sellers clock made out of genuine mahogany and finished with linseed oil (with pine resin, i.e. Tried and True varnish oil) then shellac.  I will blog about this in more detail in the near future as I have other things I'd like to say - my first time using Mahogany, why my 8th Seller's clock, etc, etcc.

As for my personal phone.  Again, I didn't want to spend multiple hundreds of dollars.  I'd rather buy wood.  As such, I went with a $75 flip phone which the monthly plan for unlimited text and talk is $20 a month.  No long term commitment.  I did this for two reasons.  The first is cost.  The second is I want to make it harder, not easier, to be on the world wide web.  So far, it's work.  Having said that, it is very annoying to text on this flip phone (remember pressing a number multiple times to get the proper letter?).  It's working as I text a lot less but it still is annoying.  The only thing I really wanted a smart phone for is driving directions but I have the work phone for that if I absolutely need it and am not with my wife who has a smart phone.  I did consider doing away with a cell phone completely but I have had that phone number now for 25 years.  All good problems.

2 comments:

  1. - Phones and internet consume more energy than the global air transport industry. I used to put pictures on the Lumberjock site in VGA resolution to limit the bandwidth. It is generally good enough. Now, keeping good pictures for yourself is something different.
    - I have never had an iPhone. Doesn't it accept two SIM cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvain. The joys of new industries and energy consumption. I feel fortunate to have grown up (born late 60s) pre internet. It is convenient but I could do without. Might even be happier for it. Certainly feel better after canceling Facebook.

    I agree with you that lower res is fine for internet pictures. In fact, I think the photos I posted here are downgraded relative to what I see of the native JPEGs. I agree that better resolution for personal photos is nice. I only have the patience to carry one phone so I'm glad this phone has better resolution.

    As for the two SIM cards, the iPhone 13 has only one slot for a physical SIM. However, in the settings there is an option to add an electronic SIM so that you can get two numbers on one phone.

    ReplyDelete