04 July 2020

My Childhood Tool Chest

I was born in 1968 (makes me 52).  When I was about four years old, my dad purchased me a tool chest designed for kids.  It was a very common item during that time and I have seen similar ones on eBay.  My is special because it was, well, mine.  They can easily be purchased even to this day though.  I hadn't seen it in 15 years as it was still in a moving box I hadn't unpacked.  Recently, I was going through a moving box (more free time due to Covid-19 so like many I'm cleaning up and organizing more) and found it.  I was very excited.  Even as an adult in the early 2000s I was still using this kit from time to time.  

Now that I have 4+ years of experience with hand tool woodworking, I can look at this kit with a different eye.  It has a lot of useful tools with it.  The current project and the one in the batter's box are fixed.  What I would like to do in about six months time is to make a project of decent complexity using just the tools from this tool kit.  To help me make this kit more flexible, I will use the tools in this tool kit to make a poor man's router and poor man's plough plane like Paul Seller's teaches.  

I don't plan to tell my dad about this.  I plan to show up one day with this tool kit was well as the project I made from it.  I know that will make his day seeing this old kit and what I can do with it.

I have absolutely no objects if folks want to use machine tools.  A big problem we have as a society is getting off the couch where we watch tv and doing any sort of hobby.  I am happy when I see anyone do a hobby.  What I do like about hand tools is that the skills I am learning and within my body.  I should be able to use these tools and do a good job.  We shall see.




2 comments:

  1. Much fancier than the kit I had when I was a kid and I am six years older than you! Only a handful of tools survived from my kit, most of the other tools got used around the outbuildings by my parents or I lost them in the fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty lucky as a kid no doubt. Of course, my daughters tool kit will be even nicer. Just had a talk with my wife and for her upcoming birthday and Christmas, I plan to elaborate the basic kit. She will be getting a No 3 hand plane, 1/2" chisel, mallet, and a spokeshave.

      What she doesn't know is that I've a a bb gun in the closet for close to three years now. Every time I ask her if she wants to shoot mine, she is uninterested. Sigh. What I would have done to have had a BB gun at her age.

      Delete