04 September 2021

How I like to Sharpen a Pencil

 I like writing instruments that provide some tactile feedback.  As such, I really like pencils and fountain pens.  There is a subtle feedback and get from them.  In grad school for chemistry 30ish years ago, I sought out a mechanical pencil with soft leads because I needed to draw many organic structures and it made things pleasurable to do so.  It's not like this is something new.

I use pencils for woodworking and taking notes at work.  To sharpen my pencils I have both manual sharpeners as well as an electric pencil sharpener.  I don't yet have one like I fondly recall using in grammar school but I will someday get one because I loved the feel when sharpening and the scent of cedar.  Still vivid to this day. 

So, this leads to the topic at hand.  How do I like to sharpen my pencils?  As a kid, I had a friend whose home I spent a fair bit of time at.  We used to draw a lot.  My friend was good enough that in adulthood he applied to both Marvel and DC Comics for jobs.  His mom used to sharpen our pencils with a kitchen knife.  I just loved the way the facets felt in my hand and I loved the long taper and slightly longer lead.  To this day, that is my preference for how to sharpen a pencil.  I use my pocket knife instead of a kitchen knife because I have a fondness for a pocket knife.  I've also been carrying a pocket knife since the age of 7 long before they might be considered a weapon of mass destruction.  Amazing how things we do as children still can deeply influence the way we like things now.



No comments:

Post a Comment