19 March 2022

Making a Bow Saw Kit - Part 2

 With the mortise and tenons for the bow saw (Tools for Working Wood website & Grammercy Bow Saw Kit) done, it was time to move onto curving the pieces.  Not as much to write but lots of photos to share.  I took my time on drawing the layouts using a mixture of dividers and French curves.  It didn't need to perfectly match the plans.  Just be close.  I wanted the two pieces to be symmetrical.  I used a mixture of stop cuts, chisels, coping saws, spoke shaves, rasps, files, sand paper, and card scrapers.  They came out nice.















To glue the brass into the handles, I just used 5 minute two ton epoxy.  



With all the woodworking done, it was time to apply finish.  Stuck with my usual.  For the cherry parts, I used 1-1/2 pound cut garnet shellac and for the handles (not sure of the wood type) I went with blond shellac.  Denibbed after four coats and put on another 4 more.  After a week of sitting (I think shellac hardens up a bit if you can let it sit for a few days), I waxed and buffed.  



I gave it a quick use.  The handles turn a bit more freely than I had expected but I will get used to that.  It worked well.  It will take some time to figure out how many twists to tension it.  The website (Tools for Working Wood) does a good job of warning to not overtighten so I was a bit conservative with this.  All in all, I am happy this is done.  The next tool I build (in a few months based on other woodworking priorities), will be taking a casting I found on Jim Bode's Antique Tool website that is like the Studley tool chest mallet.  Looking forward to this build.  Not sure what wood I will use.  Have quite a few bits laying about I could use or I could buy something specific for this project.  This is a good problem to have.





2 comments: