30 November 2022

Trying to Tighten Handle to Stanley Scrub Plane

 At the tool show I visited in Oct in Sonoma CA, I picked up a vintage Stanley scrub plane for $60.  I liked it's light weight relative to the Vertias scrub plane I already owned.  




After I got it home, I noticed the handle was a bit loose on the plane.  I tried to tighten it but that didn't seem to help.  I was trying to be careful because I didn't want to bear down too much on it and crack the handle.  When I took it apart, I noticed that the threaded rod had a slight bend in it.  I figured that was the likely cause.  Ralph, from the Accidental Woodworker blog, was kind enough to send me one that was straight.



As I was putting it in, I noticed resistance as I tightened it.  The handle was still loose with the new thread.  I figured the resistance from removing the old one was due it being bent. This made me think the hole in the handle was misaligned.  Took a round file to the hole to smooth it out.  Didn't help.  Maybe the hole at the top wasn't center properly so I took a gouge and made it a bit bigger.  Didn't help.  There is a divot in the bottom of the handle that registers a metal dimple in the plane itself.  Made the divot a bit bigger.  Didn't help.  Took a hand plane to smooth the bottom the handle in case there was a slight but/hump in it.  Didn't help.












When I say it didn't help, I mean that there is a bit less wiggle in the handle, but it isn't completely wiggle free.  It's useable at this point.  I'm just stumped as to what could be causing this issue.  Any ideas are welcome.  I'm not actively working on fixing it anymore.  At the next antique tool show in Feb/Mar near Monterey CA I will ask folks there if they have any idea.  I am sure I will eventually get it sorted out.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Joe
    From my experiences rehabbing planes the handle looseness can be addressed usually with these two methods. First is to chase the threads with a 12-28 tap (St James Tools sometimes has them) and secondly file or grind some threads off the stud. Do a little and check the fit. You can alternate filing/grinding on each end. One last option is to put non slip shelf liner under the handle between it and the plane body. I would only remove wood from the handle as the last resort.
    From the last pic it appears to me that the hole through the handle doesn't line up with the slant of the stud. That could be why the original one was bent. If it was me I would source a replacement handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph. I will look for a new handle. Any idea on a good source for them? In the meantime, I will probably put some shelf liner.

      Delete
  2. I would say the wood likely shrunk with age. So, what do you do to repair that? Draw the problem out on a piece of paper. The rod is too long right now and you could shorten it and add threads. Or you can get some #10 flat washers and stack a couple or three under the screw/nut at the top of the tote. That should take up the trouble. Oh,did you forget you're a woodworker? If you need a tote.make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After looking at my #40, I wonder if that tote is an original Stanley.The horn is awfully long .I don't think it is the photo.Nonetheless, it can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet tote is not original.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having gone through this a few times, I concur with Bob L. as to the solution. The cause, I think, is compression which occurs over time due to the hardware itself. So if you shorten the rod and add threads, prepare yourself for future further compression by giving yourself a little more thread than you need now. Note that this compression will eventually happen to any new tote you make. This year I noticed that the tote I made for my 605 back in 1995 has gotten a little loose . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the feedback. I will first try washer to see if that solves the problem. If not, I will either buy a replacement handle or make one myself. What doesn't help right now is I feel way backed up in terms of projects I want to get done and I'm trying hard to not add new ones onto the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to woodworking.You have arrived.There is always "distractions" to overcome to stay on your chosen path. Embrace it and it will be alot more fun. We all have projects in various states of completion and so will you.The little add on projects are good for when you need a diversion or break from a bigger project. Will you perish without your #40?I doubt it.Set it aside and the time will come to you.Hint:there are much better scrubs than the #40 . My personal fave is a worn out wooden jack plane.They are everywhere and practically free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will embrace it. Will take a while to get used to it as I like to get things done and move on. I could see myself falling completely for wooden planes and setting aside all my metallic ones.

      Delete