28 December 2023

Update on Tools I’m Using (been a while since I blogged) & later 2023/early 2024 Shop Layout

 When I started blogging again in 2020, I was using my work computer as my home computer was non-operational.  Recently work appropriately increased security on the computers (which I fully endorse) so that I can no longer upload photos from that computer onto my blog.  I received a Mac air iPad which is replacing the one I had been using since 2012 which really couldn’t do much.  As such, I can blog again.  And yes, buying a piece of computer stuff drives me bonkers because in 10 years or less it won’t work and need replacing unlikely my 100 year old hand tools.  I choose to stay connected so I grit my teeth and hence the new gift.

About 6 months ago, I decided I would replace some of my premium daily users and try vintage stuff to see what it was like.  As I made some changes to my daily use based on hands on experience I thought I would blog about it.  Bottom line, keeping some vintage for daily use and going back to original tools I owned on others.  I will break down categories below.  Before I do so, since it’s basically, 2024, the first three photos are what my shop looks like today and how I work.  It doesn’t change that much year over year but I like to document it so, say in a decade I can see what slow evaluation looks like.




Hand planes

I had put down my No 3 and No 5 Lie Nielsens (LN) for vintage Stanleys.  Not quite sure of years and all that but likely from 20s and 30s.  I really liked the No 5 vintage and its lighter weight so I am keeping it in daily use and keeping the LN No 5 in a tool chest.  The No 3 vintage, needs a bit more fettling as shavings weren’t comming quite properly out of it.  Likely a simple issue (either iron cap too close to blade or throat too tight).  Haven’t gotten around to it so I have pulled out the LN No 3 in the meantime.  Very good chance the vintage No 3 will ba a daily user after I fiddle with it a bit.  My other daily users are a vintage scrub, No 4 craftsman brand with highly cambered blade (and is my most favorite tool) and. LN No 4-1/2 with a 55 degree frog in case wood is having tear out issues.



Chisels

I quite like the boxwood handled Marples chisels.  They preformed just as well as my premium LN.  I am switching back to my LN chisels.  Why?  Just have been using them longer and want to use what is most familiar.  No noticeable performance difference between the two.



Saws.

Quite a few so let me go through them.  The vintage panel and rip cut saws work just fine.  Will be using my LN rip and panel more often because they are lighter than the vintage ones.  However, will be keeping vintage rip and cross cut panels out so I can use them from time to time as well.

As for my dovetail saw, at one point I really needed to make some critical saw cuts.  When that happened, I reached for my LN.  Nothing wrong with the 130 year old vintage tool.  Again, an issue of familiarity.  I had been using the LN dovetail saw for nearly 10 years and am happy and very confident (not saying my work reflects that).  As such, I want to keep using my LN.  Had I started with a different dovetail saw first, that is likely what I would have gone back to.



Fine joinery cross cut saw.  I didn’t care for my vintage one (maybe needs more set but all vintage saws were sent out to be professionally sharpened and set) and I don’t care for the LN cross cut joinery saw.  What I want is a LN cross cut saw that is the same dimensions as my LN dovetail saw (harkens to that familiarity thing).  At some point, I will get another LN dovetail saw and have it professionally sharpened for cross cut.  Not an issue as I have a Veritas cross cut of similar size to the LN.  I just don’t like the looks of it and prefer the classic materials.




All in all this was a good problem to have.  I have back up tools and in many cases am 3 deep in any critical tool.  Not planning to sell anything.  Just put them in a tool chest.  Every now and then, I do take them out for a spin.  Some tools I prefer are vintage and some I prefer are just based on what I have been using.  The quality of my work isn’t dictated by the tool I use as my skill is the limiting factor for sure.  Over time, in theory, my skill will get better.  Another good problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment