17 April 2021

How Much Sand Paper Have I Used in 5 Years?

 When I started woodworking 5 years ago, I bought a bunch of grits of sandpaper.  220 is my most used followed by 400 grit.  I really don't like using sand paper.  Mostly because after getting a nicely hand planed surface, I can't bear the thought of roughing it up.  I've asked and received answers from Paul Sellers, Bob Rozaieski, and Shop Talk Live folks specifically if it is ok not to sand after handing planing when using shellac as the finish.  All of them have said it is ok not to sand when using shellac.

Since shellac is my primary method of finishing a project, I really don't use much sand paper.  While having the week off and woodworking, I was curious to see how much I have used in 5 years.  For 220 grit, I had a five pack sheet I bought 5 years ago.  To date, I have used up two sheets from the 4 sheet pack.  For the 400 grit, I have used one and a quarter of the 5 sheet pack.  Not much at all.  Then again, I don't get a lot of projects done per year.

I know that sandpaper is ancient technology rather than a modern invention.  I just don't like to use it if I can avoid it.  I also don't look down upon those that do for whatever reason.  I have found in certain applications such as curved work sand paper is really handy stuff.  For some finishes and to prevent blotching for some woods it is necessary.







No comments:

Post a Comment