25 April 2021

Told My Wife No Wood or Tools Till Nov - Sigh

On New Year's Eve we had a water leak in the kitchen that required professional attention.  To be fair, the insurance company did a good job helping us through the process of finding a service to rip out flooring some drywall and insulation and lots of fans and dehumidifiers to dry things out. The desired contractor and insurance company in a reasonable timeframe agreed on costs to fix.  Of course, we want to do a few things beyond insurance so money out of our pocket.  The good news is that I have an emergency fund so no debt.  The bad news is that we need to rebuild the amt we took out of the emergency fund.

I told my wife I have enough wood for the next few upcoming projects and I don't need any tools.  I can get by easily till Nov.  She didn't believe I could last this long.  I went so far as to write and sign a piece of paper indicating as such which she then taped on the mirror.

Sigh.  It's a bit difficult to not want to go out to sites and look at tools and wood, etc.  Logically I don't need anything for tools (until I save up for a bandsaw and dust collection but that is a few years off) and I have plenty of wood for the projects I want to do in 2021.  Still, it's mentally a bit harder than I thought it would be.  I don't know what this says about me and I'm not sure if I like it.  So far it's been 6 weeks since I made that declaration and like 6 months to go.

3 comments:

  1. Joe,

    LOL, I just retired so with the price of wood no projects that do not come out of the wood pile at least for awhile. Tools are no problem, in fact I need to shed a few.

    Good luck, BTW your wife sounds like mine :-),

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. Mostly I want to be able to keep my word. I wish there was less temptation to want to buy things. All great wives think alike.

      Delete
  2. Phew am I ever glad i never told something like that to my wife :-)

    Hang in there, you'll make it.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete