01 May 2021

Ready for Summer

 I grew up one mile from the ocean.  As such, the temperature was well moderated.  Summers in my town were mostly in the 60s F and foggy.  As I kid, I loved it.  Rarely did it get hot.  As an adult, I can't afford to live in the town I grew up in.   I live 50 miles due east where the homes are more affordable (as if that word can be used when describing any homes in the San Francisco Bay Area).  


It's a nice town BUT it is hot.  Very hot.  Oh my, is it hot.  Most of the summer is in the 90s.  Often high 90s.  Having grown up where it is in the 60s most days, I have never been able to fully adjust.  I can easily deal with going around town and running errands.  However, it is unpleasant to be working in the insulated garage with hand tools.  There is some physicality to it which gets me hot and sweaty and just just don't enjoy woodworking as much during the summer when it is hot in the garge.  I've put up with it for the past 5 years but wanted to do something about it.  I tried a small portable 18,000 BTU system that I vented through the garage door screen that it wasn't adequate.


I ended up saving up for the last three or four years for a mini split system.  Since I have a three car garage we went with a 3 ton unit.  A few months ago it was installed.  Needless to say, this summer should be much better than prior ones.  One mounts directly onto an exterior wall and into the studs which I marked with blue tape to help the installers.  For the other wall closer to the workbench, there wasn't enough wall to really locate the unit where we wanted.  I put a 3 x 5 piece of Baltic birch onto the wall so that we could mount the AC unit a bit further out.  It will blow cool air onto me.  I can't wait! 





Given the cost of homes in the San Francisco Bay Area and knowing what the other options realistically area, it's highly unlikely we will sell and move but never say never.  When we bought the home, we specifically looked for features so that we could easily age in this home as I've seen what helps and hinders in a home as you get older.  Given I am in the garage on the order of 20 hours or more a week woodworking, I will get plenty of satisfaction out of it.  I certainly didn't do this with any pretense it adds value to the home.




2 comments:

  1. Vey good idea Joe. If we are not comfortable, we don't work as much as we would like. I currently have two shops, the power tools in the uninsulated attached garage, where I keep a bottle half filled with water to know when it freeze and a small spot radiant heater. I usually work until my nose is cold, then I retreat inside to warm up. In the basement, my handtool shop, I replaced the window and run a de humidifier to keep my hand tools rust-fre..er. I have been thinking of putting an AC unit n my garage, but I must insulate it first.
    It never ends doe it ? "-)

    Stay comfy and stay safe

    Bob, in Nova Scotia where you are never far from the sea wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. You are correct, the more pleasant the ambient temp, the more I get done. I am fortunate in where I live it doesn't get that cold.

      Insulating your garage will make a big difference before and after the AC is installed.

      Delete