27 November 2021

Update on My 6 Month Pledge to Not Buy Tools or Wood

 Back in March I had made a pledge to my wife on a PostIt Note that I wouldn't buy wood or tools until November.  She promptly taped it up on the bathroom mirror.  Since now it is now November, thought I'd provide an update on how I did.  

I wasn't perfect but I did really good.  I didn't buy any tools for 6 months.  Even passed up on some really good used tool deals in the local woodworking club I belong to.  As for wood, I broke the pledge once.  For the Shaker chimney cabinet, I had planned to use 3/8" cherry in the front and back frame and panel.  The wood dried and developed a cup in it.  I thought I could flatten it out enough during glue ups to make it fit.  In little test sections, I could but when I tried the dry fit for the whole frame and panel.  I had to make a choice on what to do.  Given the size of the work, my first time working on this scale, I decided to break the pledge on buy some Baltic birch for the back and cherry veneered stuff for the front.  

So yes, I broke the pledge however, that was the only time.  In that regard, I was very happy with how well I did.  

With Christmas coming up, I haven't gone tool crazy.  Also, I have enough wood at home to make some other items before I get to the item I really want to make.  The next piece that I really want to make is a Limbert No 355 bookcase.  I want to make it out of Honduran Mahogany.  It's a wood I haven't worked with and I think it will look nice with this piece.  The wood will be spendy so I need to save up for it.

3 comments:

  1. Hard pledge to make. Congratulations on your success. The Limbert 355 is a great project. I look forward to your posts. Happy holidays and now, back to tool buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it was a harder pledge than it may seem. Can't wait to make the Limbert 355 (likely will start mid 2022). Will post here for sure. Been on all the major websites today to see if anything really temps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Mr Pedro on this topic.
    Mr Pedro and his loan company gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Mr Pedro on a loan platform so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. With God willing they granted me a loan of 500,000.00 USD. The loan request that my banks here in Ecuador have turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Email/ Contact if you wish to apply for a loan from them.
    pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete