04 December 2021

Shaker Chimney Cupboard - Part 2

The first step was to lay out all the boards and choose the best orientation possible.  Fortunately, the wood that I had was all pretty good so it would have been hard to make a bad choice.  The boards were long and heavy (mostly 1x12's of cherry).  As such, I cut it into rough lengths for the sides and shelves.  Though long boards, conventional hold downs work well to secure the wood for rough cuting.  Rough cross cutting a 1x12 goes quickly.  I actually don't mind cross cutting wood.








Once the wood was to rough length, I used a series of hand planes to get it smooth, square and twist free.  Since I started with S4S wood, this was fairly straight forward.  Took a while but that was mostly due to the size of the piece I was making.  As with all my projects, I sharpened up all my tools before the start of this.





The big decision I had to make was whether I wanted a fixed or adjustable shelf in the cabinets.  Given it's intended use to hold bath towels, etc I figured a fixed shelf would be fine.  I really don't like the way most adjust shelving looks on a a case.  When I eventually make book shelves, I plan to go with fixed shelving as well.  I will take a look at heights of the longer books I own so I will have one shelf that will fit them and then more conventional widths.


Given that this  shaker cabinet has a small face frame, I didn't need to debate whether to use stopped housing dados or full dados.  Full through dado's are a bit easier as I can saw down the sides.  Though the dado's were long and there were a lot of them, I quite like chopping them out.  Most of the shelves got a nice friction fit.










One of the tools that I received several Christmas's ago has really come in handy.  I received a 24" beam for my engineering square.  I use it quite often.  On pieces such as this, it really comes in handy.  Really happy I have it.  With that done, it was time to move onto the rebate in the back and that will be the next post.




No comments:

Post a Comment