12 December 2021

Hands Made of Iron

 Not really.  When I started woodworking six years ago with hand tools, I found that my hands would be sore.  This went on for years.  At some point, they stopped becoming sore.  I was  happy about this as my hands had finally built up whatever muscles needed strengthening; same with my shoulders and arms.  Two days ago, my company had a holiday get together.  It was a lot of fun; especially so given the last 20 months or so of sheltering in place.

The celebration was at a bowling alley and we bowled.  I used to bowl in grammar and high school.  I liked bowling.  When my career settled down, I joined a bowling league the large company I was at had and even got my grammar school bowling partner to join.  Bought a new ball and we had a lot of fun.  The one thing I noticed was that my bowling hand would hurt after bowling.  Tried tweaking the finger holes, etc.  I found no remedy to stop my hand from hurting.  After one or two seasons, I stopped bowling because of it.  When I joined another large company that had a bowling league (at the same lanes I did league in grammar school), I didn't join it based on recent hand pane.  The few times I had bowled since my hands would hurt after bowling even using lane balls.  

It had been about 7 or 8 years since I last bowled meaning I hadn't bowled since I had started woodworking.  I fully expected my bowling hand to be sore the next day.  It wasn't.  I was very happy about this and am smiling as I type this.  Woodworking has made my hands stronger.  They are not hands of iron but it looks like I can bowl pain free.  I'm very happy about this.  Hmmm, need to see what local bowling leagues are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment