19 February 2022

Tea Bag Box - Part 1 Design

In the mornings I like to start with a cup of coffee.  Then, a bit later, I like to have a cup of tea.  I thought it might be nice to make a box to hold the tea bags in.  It's also an excuse to build another box and I like making boxes.

For the approx size, ideally I wanted it to be able to hold at least four kinds of tea and I thought it would be nice if there were at least enough capacity to hold 25 of each kind of tea.  Also, that way, it could hold a dozen bags of eight kinds of tea.  To help get the rough dimensions flowing, I looked at some of the paper stock that the tea bags came in a picked one that I liked.  I wasn't locked into this but I liked the approx proportions of it.




With this in mind, the next steps were to get some approximations of tea bags.  I grabbed several that we use in the house and measured them.  This helped to establish the width.  I also measured how deep 25 tea bags would be.  Given this isn't an engineering project I don't need it to be ultra precise.  With that in mind, the desire to use half in thick stock (it's what I had at home), I could go into the final design phase.

I was looking to keep the box simple.  I wanted half blind dovetails so that way from the front of the box you don't see the dovetails.  For the lid and top, I wanted them rebated into the box and I would saw off the top.  I wanted dividers that would be 3/8" thick (slightly thinner than the half inch wood for the box).  The case would be made out of cherry and they dividers made out of some figured maple.

I spent some time drawing this up (not full scale) just to work through the joinery to make sure there wasn't something lurking to cause me grief down the road.  For the hinges I decided I wanted to go with 90 degree stop hinges rather than use a chain.  For the feet, I had some Brusso small brass feet laying around and I thought they may look nice on this box.  With all this sorted out, it was time to make the box.  That will be in the next post.




No comments:

Post a Comment