12 February 2022

Tool Chest for My Daughter - Part 2 Painting and Hardware Insall

 In the prior post, I went over the construction.  When it came time for the color, I had asked my daughter what color she wanted it.  I was thinking, well, like an adult.  Monochromatic with maybe the under coat different than a top coat.  My daughter informed me that she wanted it to be painted like a tiger.  I asked for clarification.  She said more or less the same thing.  What I interpreted this to be was that it would have orange, white, and black, like, you know, a tiger.  I would not be painting eyes and a tail but use the colors and have stripes.  I talked to her and she seemed fine with this.

Off to Woodcraft we went to get the paint and hardware (hinge for top, wheels for bottom, handles) and to Ace hardware for a stop chain.  I wanted to try using General Finishes "milk paint."  I know it's not proper milk paint but rather an acrylic paint.  I have used real milk paint in the past and wanted to see how the General Finishes acrylic paint performed and this was a good project to try it one.  We found lamp black, white, and persimmon (close to orange).  


For painting, I wanted to use natural geometric breaks in the case for the striping rather than painting proper stripes.  My wife would have preferred real stripes but I though that might be a bit too much.  I told her when she is older and if she really wants to, she can repaint it however she wants.  Agreement reached.  The inside and boxes were shellac.  To do the different paint colors, it was slow going as needed at least one full day per color due to the use of tape to try and get clean lines.  I was patient but this painting process dragged on for what felt like forever.  For the shellac I used spray shellac on the inside and over the paint on the outside.  After several days of drying, I waxed the carcass.







With the finish done, it was time to install the hardware.  This was straight forward with no issues to report.  To use the screws I had on hand for the feet, I put some washers I had on had so the screws did jut into the bottom of the chest.  The hinge is just a simple 12" piano hinge and I didn't bother to recess it.  The handles had long enough screws so that they go all the way through the case.  Should make for strong connections.








All in all, I was happy with the way it turned out.  So is my daughter.  Our favorite bit is what my wife suggested me do, we both put paint on hour hands do make a handprint of each of us on the inside.  I like to think when my daughter is old this will put a smile on her face.  I've included a photo with the tools she owns.  Still need to get some more tools but she is in pretty good shape.  If she really gets into woodworking, some of the tools here can transition to carpentry tools as she upgrades such as a better square, chisels, etc.  When my daughter becomes a teenage, I will be done with the hand tools and start to build out auto and home repair tools.  My dad did this for me when I was a teenager and to this day, 90% of the tools I use around the home are ones he gave to me growing up.  I will do the same.  That way, when she eventually moves out she will be equipped with solid set of tools.  Don't worry, she still gets plenty of toys.  I just think as an adult the woodworking and home/auto tools will be more appreciated.





No comments:

Post a Comment