11 June 2022

Krenov Wall Hanging Cabinet - Carcass Glue Up and Back Construction Part 3 of 6

 With the dovetails done, dados, and grooves for the back completed, it was time for glue up.  To help make my life easier, I used Titebond liquid hide glue as I like the slightly longer open time I get with it.  I probably don't need the extra open time but it takes some of the mental stress out of the glue up knowing I have it.  A few swipes with a hand plane and the outside dovetails are flush.  They came out decent.  I'm happy with them and they might be some of the best I've done to date.







After the glue up was out of the clamps, it was time to make the back boards.  This was going to be easy.  I had scrap 1/2" cherry from another project of a perfect width so I could use three boards.  I have a tongue and groove plane so I used that.  It's a handy tool when I infrequently need it.  Then, I put a bevel on the inside edges to make the connection a feature.  Then, I did a bit of mental math after the tongue and grooves were done to sort out how much to cut off the outer boards so there was some symmetry on the grooves.




With this all done, it was time to move onto the mortise and tenoned, door.  That will be the next post.  So far so good.  Project is taking longer to do than I would like but so what.  It's a hobby and I'm happy with how it's coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment