25 June 2022

Krenov Wall Hanging Cabinet - Making the Door Panel Part 5 of 6

 One of the things that really appealed to me of this Krenov cabinet.  It mostly but not completely blocks the contents of the cabinet.  For what I wanted in this cabinet this was perfect.  I decided to use this panel as an opportunity to have a nice complimentary wood.  I was at Rockler and I found a really nice piece of figured maple that was either 3/4 or 1/2" thick.  Wasn't cheap from a board foot perspective but I didn't need that much.



The biggest problem with the piece of maple was that it had a significant bow in it.  With lots of patience and careful work,  finally got rid of the bow; however, my stock ended up being about 1/4" think.  I was hoping to have 3/8" thick.  Oh well, really won't matter from a functional perspective.  Put 1/4" mortises on the rails.  I decided to attach the two shorter panel pieces to the large one by wedges of wood.  There is probably some sort of fancy name for this connection but I don't know what it is.  Came out good.  











After the glue up of this panel, I prefinished it with blond shellac that I made up fresh (ca. 1-1/2 lb cut) that I dissolved in 97%ish isopropanol.  Why isopropanol you ask?  Just before Covid became a big issue in the USA, I stocked up on a bunch of bottles of it for disinfecting.  I didn't use that much for disinfecting.  Since I have it around, I have repurposed it.  As best I can tell, it works just about as well as 190 proof ethanol; maybe it took the shellac a bit longer to dissolve in the isopropanol..  I was curious so that is why I did this experiment.  Generally speaking, I'd prefer to use 190 drinking grade Everclear for my shellac.  I will likely use the remaining isopropanol to clean my shellac brushes since it costs a lot less than any form of ethanol I can purchase.

The door glue up was uneventful.  Project is really close to completion (one or two more posts).





2 comments:

  1. Hello Joe, Nice blog! I've always liked Krenov's work too! You asked about my small bandsaw- The dust collection seems ok, but I find the saw itself a bit fiddley to set-up and adjust- preferred my old Delta one.
    Cheers Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. Will likely end up with two bandsaws. One for resawing and something like an old Delta 14" with a narrow blade.

      Delete