08 October 2022

My First Used Handtool Woodworking Show

 The local Northern CA hand tool club had their annual collectable tool show in Sonoma, CA.  Sonoma is a bucolic wine town so I brought the family along.  I figured while I was at the show, they could wander the town and I would then join them a few hours later.



Lots of cool used tools.  I was hoping to find Craftsman brand woodworking tools as I'm building a collection of them but there weren't any - such is life - the chase is part of the fun for getting this collection.  I could easily get all the Craftsman brand woodworking tools on eBay but I don't want to make it quite that easy.

There were quite a few user tools that just needed some rust removal.  If one were starting out, I saw at least a dozen hand planes in the $25 to $30 dollar range.  There were a lot of premium collectible tools as well.  I ended up getting a Stanley scrub plane for $60 - just need to take the bend out of the rear handle screw so that the rear handle doesn't have a minor wobble in it (which I could live with in a scrub plane).  Out of curiosity, does anyone know where I could purchase that rear screw?



All in all a good day.  Also met the individual who runs the Woodworking in  Tiny Shop (Woodworking in a Tiny Shop (tinyshopww.blogspot.com)).  Not that long ago, I found out he was also in the Bay Area and I had been a big fan of his blog for a few years.  Cool connecting the virtual and real world.

There is a collectible tool show in Monterey CA in March and this show again next year.  I will go to both for sure.  I would like to get a No 2 hand plane and see how it performs as a small smoother (I currently use a No 3 as my primary smoother).  Infill planes tempt me as well.   Hard to resist getting some of the transitional planes.  Better start saving.  Oh, I also might bring some of my excess tools to sell.  All good problems to think about for the next 5 months.










No comments:

Post a Comment