06 December 2022

My Favorite Wood

 A year or so into my woodworking experience, if you had asked me that question, I would have said cherry.  I loved the way it darkened over time and just it's overall color and fragrance when working with it.  

One of the things I've noticed is that I no longer have a favorite wood.  I mostly enjoy whatever wood I am working with its subtle or not so subtle differences from other woods.  I noticed this shift about two or three years into woodworking.  I was at a lumber store (big surpirse) and saw this poplar board that had these beautiful purple and green streaks (mineral stains I'm guessing) in it.  I had to have that board.  I know, you might be thinking purple and green, gah!  However, it was lovely.  I cut up that board and used it to make a simple shelf underneath the bench.  It was so beautiful to see those streaks.  They have since turned lovely shades of brown.  Again, I enjoy wood transitioning to its final color.  I also used a lot of poplar early on for the sides of drawers because I could easily purchase it in 1/2" thickness at Lowe's.  As such, I got to work a lot with poplar for secondary wood and to make shop boxes, etc.  During this time, I began to think to myself "poplar is an underrated wood.  It works so well with hand tools.  Hard enough for use but soft enough to be a pleasure to work with hand tools and it planes so well and is not prone to tearout."  Looking back on it, that was the turning point of my thinking of favorite woods thought I didn't realize it at the time.

Now, seven years into woodworking, I realize I enjoy them all when working with them.  Mesquite finishes lovely and has a beautiful fragrance; it's a pain to hand plane but the end result is worth it.  Walnut, maple, paduk, pine, etc, all have things I love and that challenge me.  Whenever I can, I try and work in new species of wood just to see what they are like.  I have some Alaskan cedar, genuine Mahagony, and yew sitting about for some upcoming projects.  Excited to see how they are to work.

For a long time, I was puzzled when experienced woodworkers would say they didn't have a favorite wood.  I think I now understand why.  I still like to ask the question though.  So, do you have a favorite wood?

Below are just some images of various projects with different woods in them.  Can you tell what they are?  Do any stump you?












No comments:

Post a Comment