14 December 2022

My New Workbench - Built by My GrandPa in 1960s/70s

 I have wanted a second workbench for a while.  A place to do my finishing when I choose a finish that takes a longer duration such as waiting for linseed oil to dry, my daughter to woodwork, and a place to keep my new waterstones for sharpening on.



I was all set to build the jointers bench that Rex Kruger has popularized in some YouTube videos.  To the point I had printed the plans, gone to Lowes with my moisture meter to get a feel how wet the wood was.  I was a paycheck or two away from buying the wood.


My cousin (two years older than me and local to me) reached out that he was cleaning his garage and needed to make room. He had a workbench my grandfather had built him the in the late 60s/early 70s that he no longer needed and was wondering if I would want it.  Would I want it?  Of course, I'm excited.  Though my grandfather's workshop is still intact, I don't have a lot items made by him though lots of memories of him in the garage.  It's the "best" workbench I could ever have as a secondary bench.  To top it all off the has the original machinist vise my gandpa out on it.  For a secondary bench, I kind of wanted that vise style in the shop so that was another added bonus.


When we picked it up, my cousin mentioned he had some small chairs and a few other items my gandpa made and would I be interested in them.  Of course.  The small chairs were likely built in the 1960s but could have been built as early as the 1940s (for when my dad was a kid).  There were a few other items that will work well as shop furniture.  I am beyond the moon happy by all of this.


Over the Christmas break, I will clean them up and move some things around.  Will do more detailed photos then.  All in all, my Christmas gifts arrived early.  Can't imagine it getting any better than this.  I did test the bench quickly for lead paint.  It came back as negative.  Will check again after cleaned up proper as well as the other pieces.  I'm not worried about lead paint, just want to know if I have it.  I understand its potential dangers.  If anything does have lead paint, after cleaning it up, likely just put a clean finish on top of it.


Here are some photos of some of the picture frames my grandpa liked to make.  He made a lot of them.  Still handing all over his garage.  My dad owns the house and has kept the workshop area pretty much the same (some changes but nothing too big).  At some point, I need to get photos of this shop.  





No comments:

Post a Comment