The outside is two coats red milk paint then two coats of black milk paint followed by 6 or 8 coats of shellac and wax. The interior used either garnet or blond shellac followed by wax. There is a big dovetailed drawer on top from 1/2" poplar. In the future, I will likely sub-divide the drawer. Hardware is from Horton Brasses and the chains are from Rockler (a bit delicate as designed for smaller boxes so I put two on it).
Right now, I don't have that many tools for the inside of it. I am looking forward to buying the tools. What I did was put in tools I use daily for the workbench or put in some from the medium sized tool chest (which is filled and I need to do a post on that some day). I'm not in a rush to fill it as it is likely 6 to 9 months before I will get the Covid-19 vaccine and be able to visit my elderly dad and woodwork. I am looking forward. It should hold the tools I mostly need. It's not like this smaller chest is all I own and I'm not going off to the wilderness to work from it.
Rather than write one long blog (and then leave me scratching my head for weekly blog content), I will post a series of blogs outlining what I did to make it and some of the rational for some of the decisions. One could argue that this posting should be the last in the series. I am not writing a mystery novel. Based on work, I like to start with the bottom line message then go through all the detail then summarize the message. I am adopting that format here. In fact when I put photos, I am always conscious of the first photo for two reasons: it's the image that is shown when the blog is minimized and I want to pick the one key photo, when you open up the blog I want to you to see the end result initially so that you can then decide how much you read. This also reminds me of when I wrote on the school paper and you used that inverted pyramid with the most important info at first and less important info as you read down.