06 March 2021

My Pocketknife

 My dad at a young age (under 10) was climbing out of a tree and somehow got his clothing snagged on a branch was being strangled.  He considers himself fortunate that he has his pocked knife and cut himself free.  As such, I was given a traditional Boy Scout Pocket knife at age 7 and was strongly encouraged to carry it every single day.  This was the 1970s and a pocket knife wasn't considered a weapon of mass destruction.  I still have it but it is in a different location that I can't visit and photograph due to Covid-19 restrictions.






It took me a while to habitually carry it.  Often, I would ask my dad for his knife to cut a string, etc.  He would say, "Joe, there are two things you don't lend out in life - your knife and your wife."  As such, I would often need to go get mine.  As such, from age 7 through age 30 I carried that Boy Scout style pocket knife.  It was a good knife and I used it for all manner of things.  By age 30, I stated to feel sentimentally attached to it.  Since pocket knifes can easily fall out of your pocket, I began to worry that loosing it would really upset me.

At that point, I had to think about what pocket knife did I want to carry.  Firstly, I made it clear to my dad, he couldn't give me one as that would repeat the problem of it being sentimental.  Though I liked all of the features on a Boy Scout pocket knife, the key features I really wanted in my next knife came down to a blade, flat head and Philips head screw drivers, and a bottle opener.  If I had that, I could do just fine.  Yes, I had used the can opener before on my pocket knife.  Mostly it was just because I had it.  Only once did I really need to use it.  Having only needed to use a tool once in 23 years meant it wasn't a must have feature.

I tried initially and a few times since to carry a Leatherman type tool both in pocket and on a holster.  Though nice, it was just too much tool.

For my 30s, I settled on the Swiss Army Knife Tinkerer model.  It had a blade, bottle opener, and both types of screwdriver heads.  I'm glad no one gave it to me.  I did have some slip out of my pocket and disappear.  Then after 9/11, I ended up giving quite a few to TSA because I was so used to keeping one in my pocket I often forgot to put it in my check in luggage.  I was quite happy with this pocketknife and found the tweezers and toothpick to be handy.

In my early 40s, I wanted something with a slightly bigger blade.  I didn't want a Rambo style knife.  Fortunately, at that time, Swiss Army was making the next generation Swiss Army knife that had a slightly bigger blade and all of the tools I needed.  It also had a saw blade which I didn't need but such is life.  I carried that knife for about a decade.  

About a two years ago, I wanted a knife that maybe wasn't as bulky.  It took a few false starts.  Then, I discovered this Milwaukee knife shown below.  It is under $50 (might have been $30) and quite a bargain in my mind.  It was basically the bare bones knife I had wanted.  It had a blade (part of it serrated which I could do without), a bottle opener and a really nice quarter inch bit screwdriver that came stock with a bit that had a flat head and Philips on the other side.  I've been carry it for about a year and have been quite happy with it.  I took off the pocket clip as I don't need it that accessible.  

In terms of blades.  Everything since my original Boy Scout pocket knife, which had a a high carbon steel blade, has been a bit of a disappointment.  All the other knives mentioned have been stainless steel.  I can't get stainless nearly as sharp as I can other blades.  For a pocket knife, the level of sharpness is useable but not exciting.  I use the simple sharpener I bought at Woodcraft to sharpen it.  This is the same sharpener I use for my woodworking marking knives.  It does an "ok" job.  For what my pocketknife needs to do, it is fast enough where I tend to sharpen my pocketknife once a week.





I know a tool such as a pocket knife is such a personal choice that I am sure we all have strong opinions.  For now, I am content.  I am sure I will still keep my eye open.  What do you carry?

6 comments:

  1. I carry an old Swedish pocket knife with one blade and a cork opener.
    I think it originally had two blades a big and a small one. But the small blade was broken before I got the knife. The sides are bone.
    Due to ridiculously strict Danish legislation, a pocket knife must not have a blade any longer than 2.75", and the blade must not be lockable or possible to open up with one hand.
    If you are caught with a pocket knife that voids these rules, you are sent directly to jail for 1 days plus it gets noted on your criminal record.
    I have chosen to grind 3/4" from the length of the blade to avoid that, but it annoys me that I had to destroy the original blade of a 100 years old knife due to stupid laws.
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to carry a pocket knife at my early 30s. The choice was for a traditional portuguese brand, Palaçoulo. Very cheap, about 2€ each, they are quite popular here in the north of Portugal.
    Now they are made with stainless steel, but the older ones are carbon steel.
    I use it almost daily, mainly to cut fruit for my kids (while they weren't old enough to use one) and bread.
    Everytime I need to open a package I smile and think how was it possible to live without one in my pocket for so many years.
    Regards,
    Nuno

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started to carry a pocket knife at my early 30s. The choice was for a traditional portuguese brand, Palaçoulo. Very cheap, about 2€ each, they are quite popular here in the north of Portugal.
    Now they are made with stainless steel, but the older ones are carbon steel.
    I use it almost daily, mainly to cut fruit for my kids (while they weren't old enough to use one) and bread.
    Everytime I need to open a package I smile and think how was it possible to live without one in my pocket for so many years.
    Regards,
    Nuno

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Farmer is never without his pocket knife I now use a Opinel No7 legal length blade. lost one knife when hay baling worked out which bale it may be in and found it, what luck not quite a needle in a hay stack

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a knife I carried for about 30 years, belonged to my Great Uncle. I lost it somewhere. Hopefully I'll find it someday when I get around to cleaning out my pickup cab. Replaced it with one I found somewhere, a 1 inch blade. still it comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the feedback on knives. I think knives may be the most personal tool we frequently use. Not surprisingly, we all have thoughts and fondness for what we carry. Knife lengths in the USA and complicated. As best I can tell, the knife I carry is legal in terms of lenght. However, a few years ago, I was in New York on holiday. I wanted to visit the Sep 11th memorial with my family. They had a metal detector and out of habit I had a pocket knife. The guard though the blade might be too long. He needed to call his supervisor. I was suddenly worried as I just hadn't thought about it. I would have been ok if they confiscated it but for all I knew, I would be arrested. Supervisor, who had big hands opened it and said the blade was less than the width of his palm so it was ok. I just needed to put it in check in and pick it up when my visit was finished. The knife spent the rest of the visit in the suitcase.

    ReplyDelete