20 March 2021

So Why Does 1/32nd of an Inch Define my Joy or Sorrow?

 I am preparing a bread box for my wife.  I wanted to do an exemplar job of the front frame and panel.  I did the back panel to practice first.  Learned a lot that helped me.  

So, for the front, I really took my time in layout.  Was really pleased with how everything was going (plough grooves, appropriate thickness of tenon, the haunch fit, etc.  After got everything pared and cleaned up, I was very happy with the tightness of the joint on the show face of the front panel.  Then, I took a look at the back side.  I was annoyed.  With the calipers, it appears to be about 1/32nd of an inch gap.  




I went immediately from joy to frustration.  Then, I got even more angry.  Why should a 1/32nd of an inch bother me.  It's on the inside that will rarely be seen (only when you open it up).  Even then, after it's assembled, finished, and the gap filled with colored wax, it will be hard to notice.  Yet, there it is.  A gap the size of the grand canyon.  Yet, a gap that doesn't impact any functionality.  Sigh.  

I doubt I am alone on this.  Now the big debate is do I pare down the font so that it snugs up the back? I haven't decided.  I will have to see how the other three tenons fit.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it would make you feel better to know that this is a standard, intentional feature of traditional furniture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would drive me crazy too, Joe. Before you remove any material from that front shoulder to make both shoulders seat properly, check everything you can. Is the tenoned piece lying in the same plane as the mortised piece? Was the shoulder line squared around the tenoned piece properly (check it with a square across a side shoulder)? Was the mortise chopped straight (check with a square)?

    If you mess with that front shoulder, you could throw the other joints out of square (albeit, minimally) when all is clamped up.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeff. At least that is what I will tell anyone who points it out. :-) I wasn't trying to do this and that's why bothered me.

    Thanks Matt for the tips and advice. I decided not to alter the location of the front shoulder. The other joints came out nice as well. When I clamped everything up, the gaps in the back shrank down even more. Not sure why as I didn't overtighten the clamps. I was pleased in one of the three remaining that I did after this post. The front and back were not seating. I eventually and patiently found the little bit of wood that was causing the offset. Once I cut off the tiny sliver, things tightened up.

    I guess the cool thing, now that I've calmed down, is that a few years ago I would have been very happy when I initially put this joint together. I guess that means I'm getting better and more fussy about what is and isn't a good fit.

    ReplyDelete