13 March 2021

Stuff in my pockets

 As a kid, I used to be fascinated with what my father carried in his pockets.  This was long before the term every day carry came about.  The pocketknife post from last week got me thinking of what do I carry and why.  Below is a picture.  I will elaborate a bit on what's in there and why.




Pocketknife - I've been carrying one since I was 7.  I like it to have a blade, slotted and Philip head screwdriver, and a bottle opener.  Handy tools I have used my whole life and am glad its in my pocket.


Flashlight.  LEDs have really increased the brightness over the past 20 years.  I have been carrying one of some kind for a bit over 20 years.  It just comes in handy in all kinds of situations.  Prefer it to run on AAs but the current one (because my young daugher at the time "stole" and lost my other one) uses 123 batteries.  Such is life.  All I want in a flash light is that it turns on and off.  I don't need a bunch of modes.


Zippo lighter with an aftermarket butane lighter insert (something like Thunderbird).  The kerosene original in the Zippos would dry up after two or three weeks.  No point in carrying an unfueled lighter.  The butane easily goes 3 months and probably longer between charges.  I don't smoke.  There is something I like about having the ability to make a fire if I am somehow stranded overnight.  It just feels comforting to know I can do this.


Minimal keys.  I'm not a warden so I really question each and every key I put on there.  In the house I have the big ugly key chain that I have been using for 30+ years and for which I don't know what half of the keys are for anymore.


Minimal wallet.  Small wallet helps me from collecting junk.  This is a good thing.


Cell phone - a handy device I have a love hate relationship with.


USB drive.  Handy to have to put important files on.  Every now and then it really has been helpful transferring files.  Keep lots of photos and woodworking articles on it. 



1 comment:

  1. When at home, I "always" carry a folding ruler, a carpenters pencil, my pocket knife, my keys, my cell phone a big old fashioned wallet, and most likely a set of car keys.
    If I have to dress really nice, I will normally skip the carpenters pencil and the folding ruler.
    If I am wearing a jacket of sort, odds are good that I also carry dog treats.
    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete