10 July 2021

Cool Father's Day Gifts

 This past Father's Day, my wife and daughter purchased me a very cool gift.  It is a maker's mark steel stamp for marking my projects.  My wife used a blog from Chris Schwarz to pick the company to use and she provided the "artwork" (The Best Way to Stamp Your Work or Tools | Popular Woodworking Magazine).


As for the design, I wanted it to be my initials JAL with some design influence.  My wife and I drew up a few ideas.  My daughter walked in and and we asked her what she thought.  She looked at them and came up with a derivative and we both liked it.  So, like the cat and dog's name, we went with her recommendation.  Not bad for a nine year old.

My wife has done well in the past on Father's Day.  About 4 years ago she bought me one of those Rockler electric branding iron names as well.  I've been happy with that but for some reason, I really wanted one I could stamp into the wood.  Life is good.


I do have one "trick" I've figured out to make the electric branding iron work better.  After testing on an offcut to find optimal hold time, I use a card scraper.  That removes some of the darkened wood surrounding the branding so it is a bit more clear.  I doubt I'm the first person who has ever done this.



No comments:

Post a Comment