23 April 2022

Evaluation of Clear Vue Mini CV06 Dust Cyclone Hooked up to My Shop Vac

Though I am saving for a bandsaw, I don't have machine tools at the moment requiring large dust collection.  As such, I have been using a ShopVac I purchased at Lowes in 2012 for handyman stuff around the home.  It has come in handy.  When I started woodworking in 2015, I used this shop vac to suck up the type of dust and shavings one gets from hand tool use.  I use both a bag and filter inside the ShopVac and I wanted to prolong the duration between changes.



About three (could be four) years ago, I received the Clear Vue Mini CV06 Dust Cyclone so I could hook that up to my ShopVac.  The theory is that the centrifugal forces, due to the design, cause most of the dust and chips to fall into 5 gallon bucket on the CV06 rather than go into the ShopVac dust collection.  By emptying the 5 gallon bucket frequently, I should be able to go longer before needing to change out the ShopVac bag and possibly the filter.

Three (could be two) years ago, I know for certain I put a fresh bag and filter inside the ShopVac.  Recently, I changed it out.  The ShopVac bag, had maybe only 10% of it's bag capacity filled with shavings.  As for the filter on the Shop Vac, I shook it a bunch and rubbed it and there was very little dust on it.  

All in all, I was happy about this.  I wrote down the date when I changed it this time and play to go three or four years before the next swap out inside the ShopVac.  Again, this isn't scientific and I can't say how other brands would perform.  Given my current needs, I am happy.  When I get a bandsaw, I will buy an appropriate dust collector.  Till then, I will keep using what I have.  Hard to come by this info online so I thought some of you might appreciate me sharing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment