14 June 2016

More work on Paul Sellers style wall clock


I was able to spend some more time in the workshop.  This week I was able to put the grooves in the stiles and rails (front and side pieces of the clock face).  For this, I used a handy little Veritas plough plane.  The same one I had used to make the grooves.  All I needed to do was swap out the ¼” plough blade and put in the 3/8” groove blade.  In the span of the four pieces of wood I needed to groove, I really felt like I came to a much better understanding of how much depth the blade needs to have in order get thin shavings.  There was still a bit of tear out but it isn’t that bad.  For my first time doing this, I am quite happy with the results. Used a little sandpaper afterwards to smooth some things out.

 
 


The other thing I did was cut the little stubby tennons.  It went reasonably well and I learned where to have the beaded part of the wood located in order to avoid some tearout.  I then tried to assemble everything.  The tennons seem to be thin enough.  However, I can get everything reassembled.  I was a bit frustrated and put everything down.  I will go back to it when I feel a bit more calm so I don’t muscle or force things.  If I had to guess, I think that the front side might be a wee bit too long (tennon seems shallow enough to fit the groove).  I will be able to test this by holding this piece and the other up to each other and see if both front faces or flush or if one is long.  Not sure in the moment of frustration I would have thought to do that.  I will get this fixed.  Hopefully everything will look snug when I am done.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment