01 June 2016

Why I decided to buy rather than build a bench


I was thinking of making my own bench.  In fact, I bought Chris Schwartz’s book on the topic and spent a fair bit of time reading it.  Ultimately I ended up buying one.  Mostly this came down to the fact that I am an absolute beginner (couldn’t even cut a straight line) and just didn’t feel confident enough to be able to do it.  Now, six months or so into woodworking, I have that confidence and could do it.  The good news is that I have used my bench and hands tools I purchased a lot.  I did have some concern that I was going to buy this initial stuff and it would sit around unused gather dust.  Who hasn’t at some point bought something on the pricy side with the best intentions and watch it gather dust (like the treadmill we got recently so we could walk while watching tv)?  Oh, the good and bad/sad news.  I know someone close to me who had a huge tree topple over in a big storm and completely demolish their garage and workbench.  Looks like I may have an opportunity yet to build a workbench.
 
In terms of what I bought, it was the Lie Nielsen one.  Why that one?  Well, it met Chris Schwartz's criteria for a bench in terms of sturdiness, etc.  I did get to see one in person and try it out at one of their travel tool shows.  Yes, it was expensive.  However, it's done and I have it and in theory I never need to worry about this topic again.  It works well and I have been happy with it.  I debate now 6 months into it whether a tool well would be handy or a quick release vice.  Both of these are good problems to have and in all likelihood I will leave it as is and spend my energy on wood working projects.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment