07 November 2020

My Strop Saves the Day

I've been working on making a mini-anarchist tool chest.  I finished the lower skirting and was working on the upper skirting dovetails.  I noticed my chisel wasn't pairing endgrain very well.  I needed to get inside the house and prepare dinner (actually was a bit late for this).  Yet, I wanted to finish pairing the endgrain on the dovetails.  I took out the strop, gave the chisel 30 passes then used it.  The chisel behave completely differently.  Before it didn't want to cut the endgrain unless I used excessive force.  Now, it paired the endgrain like it should.  As I finished working for the evening I was proud of myself for 1. realizing the tool wasn't working like it should (i.e. sensitivity in my work) and 2. stropping can reestablish and edge.  It was a nice way to cap off the evening.



2 comments:

  1. Joe,

    Good on you, both for not pushing thru with a dull chisel and fixing dinner :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,
    Thank you. The temptation was certainly there. Wife is always happy when I cook. We all know that happy wife equals happy life.
    Sincerely,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete