05 December 2020

I married well

 Recently, my wife and I celebrated a wedding anniversary.  She bought me this little ax for spoon carvings, etc.  Needless to say, I was very happy.  I indeed married well.





So why the ax?  When I go to my in-law's cabin, I'd like to relax by doing some sort of woodworking.  I thought it might be a good opportunity to do slightly different woodworking than I do at home.  As such, when I visit, I am going to carve spoons, bowls, and carve little figures.  The kit of tools and wood needed is small and I will enjoy it.


Of course, this has to wait till we are both vaccinated from Covid-19.  My in-laws are in a high risk group and I don't want to risk them getting sick. 

3 comments:

  1. Joe,

    I have different reasons but the same wants, a way to work wood when away from home. It's not that I love working wood so much I can't be away from it but for something to do other than sit and drink whiskey, not that that is a bad plan.

    We have a motorhome so my solution needed to be portable and fit in the motorhome storage bins. I found two solutions, one a portable Moravian workbench and now I'm building a knockdown shavehorse. My guess if you just want to make spoons and such the shavehorse would be best. I'm blogging (slowly) about it now, if you have an interest.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken,
      I follow your blog. Your workbench for the RV is very nice. Someday, we will own an RV and I may make a similar bench to what you have. The other bench under consideration for travel is the "Milkman's" workbench. Given that I can buy one for around $500, I may go that route when the time comes.

      I do agree with you about having something to do lest other things be done to keep you busy. Other potential portable hobbies under consideration would be leather work. At the moment I want to stay focused on wood.

      Delete
    2. A shave horse is something I want as well. Looking forward to reading you blog about it. For the short term, I will try and get by without a shave horse using vise clamps on the outside picnic bench at the cabin. Also, there are a lot of rounds at the cabin so I may try to have some sort of simple shave horse out of those. The cabin is heated by a woodstove and there is a steady state of at least 10 chords of wood chopped on his property.

      Delete