26 December 2020

Incremental Progress Makes Me Smile

 I started woodworking 5 years ago.  Most of my learning has come from Paul Sellers and some from going to LieNielsen events once a year when the come to town.  I happily toil away in my workshop.  Most of the time, concerned/frustrated/angry of some imperfection in what I am trying to achieve.  Certainly, things are better now than they were 5 years ago when I started.  


Today I was finishing up a simple piece of pine.  It is angle on the long axis as well as one of the short edges.  This piece will be replacing the original locking piece on my Japanese tool chest.  The first lock either shrank when it dried or wasn't wide enough to begin with.  This pieces remedies this.  



There is nothing really complex about this.  What I noticed today however was that as I was applying the shellac, I didn't see brush strokes as I had in past projects.  I've gotten much better than say 2 years ago at applying finish.  When trying to get one edge to 90 degrees, it was initially giving my fits and then I just used some tricks I've learned along the way.  Suddenly it dawned on me, I've gotten better than I was 2 years ago.  I apply finish better, I can straighten a board more quickly.  I felt good for a few minutes to notice I have improved.  Life is good.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good. Paul has been my main source of learning, outside of books. It is amazing to realize one day that you are actually doing something well. I had a similar epiphany last month with sharpening by hand. I sharpened a chisel and was able to shave end grain the first time out. No muss, no fuss, it just worked. Honestly, I couldn't think about what I had done right or what I had been doing wrong in the past. It just works now. I hope that I can get to your level of shellac application:). I have a ways to go in that department.

    Take Care,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the sharpening, it took me quite a while to feel confident about it. For the shellac, it is just a matter of doing it on a lot of pieces and trying little variations (1.5 lb cut vs 2 lb cut, 1" vs 2" bush, etc). Paul Sellers quite a few years ago did a really good video focusing on shellac that I think is even on YouTube.

      Delete
  2. Nice work. My woodworking journey began nearly sixty years ago in my Dad's basement shop filled with Sears Roebuck Craftsman tools. Eureka moments continue to occur. Just this last week I came to truly understand the importance of the position of the frog on a century old Bedrock plane. This from one who has restored numerous planes that seemed to work really well. The moments continue to happen. Enjoy the journey.
    Thanks for posting and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have a fondness for Craftsman tools as well. I do like the little gems of knowledge when they happen. Glad to hear of your recent insight.

      Delete
  3. Joe,

    I never thought about finishing my Japanese tool box, must say yours looks a lot better than mine. BTW, MsBubba will tell you my finishing work still sucks.

    It is a wonderful journey, with new delights along the way. I hope you continue the trip.

    ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shellac is a wonderful finish. When in doubt I go with garnet shellac on a project. It seems to look great on pine and cherry as well as all of the other woods I have tried it on.

    I've seen your work, it looks great by the way.

    ReplyDelete