08 January 2022

Shaker Chimney Cupboard - Part 5 the long front vertical face frame.

This design doesn't have a complete face frame.  It just has long vertical pieces.  I suppose you could even make it with out it but it would look different.  I ripped the two pieces from the same board so in theory the grain flows from one to the other not that I expect anyone to notice this.  After resawing to near dimension. I left it a bit fat so that I can hand plane it once they are attached.  I find it a little funny to have to climb up on a ladder to saw the wood.  At some point I want to build saw benches.  So many projects to do, so little time.  The wood developed a bit of a bow in it once it was sawed out.  From experimenting, it was clear that I could clamp out the bow.  Sometimes I'm amazed at how much flex there can be in wood.



Some of the interior shelves need to get notches cut in them.  I could have done this before assembly but decided not to.  I was worried that in stress of glue up I might have troubles getting them aligned properly and thought it would be easier to cut them out after the fact.  It turned out to be a bit more challenging to cut these than I had anticipated.  It was also difficult to the them all cut so that the vertical face frame could sit flush against all of them.  Again, we're talking less than a sixteenth of an inch.  If I were to do this over, I would cut the notches out first before glue up.  The face frame would cover if not properly aligned in glue up in the groove.  For some reason, I didn't take many photos of this work in this blog post.  That is atypical.  Not sure what happened.

The glue up went reasonably well but if I had to do it over again, I would have cut them even fatter.  Between the notched shelves and bow in the wood they didn't sit quite as proud when glued up as I would have liked. 

After glue up was done and out of the clamps, I planed all the surfaces flush.  The gaps, though reasonably small, between the shelf/drawer dust frame and vertical face frame slightly bothered me and it was easy to fix.  I simply glued in some shims and then cut and planed flush.  Another imperfection hidden.


With this, it was time to move to the front doors of the cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment