30 May 2022

Bad Ugly Failure on A Project - Sigh

 Ralph of the Accidental Woodworker blog and I are both making Paul Seller's Keepsake boxes.  At first glance, this just seems like a simple dove tail box.  There is a lot of subtle design features to this with curved sides and angled dovetail bases.  I've wanted to build it for a while and finally feel as if I have skills and sensitivity to make it.  The level of subtle complexity became apparent soon into the build (thanks Paul) and I realized I that this first version was going to be a "prototype" rather than the final version.  Too much for me to learn to do it well the first time through.  No problem.



For this version, I wanted it use Spanish cedar because I have never worked with the wood.  It is delightful wood and has a beautiful unique fragrance.  It is on the soft and brittle side of things and I figured this out fairly quickly when working with it.  Part of why I like to try different woods from time to time is just to learn by doing on how these woods perform.  

As such, I was very careful when working on this piece and I knew I would need to be very delicate on the glue up.  I did as much of a mock glue up as possible.  Even made cauls to get decent clamping pressure.  Used Titebond liquid hide glue to give me as much open tie as possible.  Despite all this, I ended up with three fractures in the wood.  It is a horrible feeling.  I tried really hard to be delicate.  In this case, I lost.  After I cut open the box, I will make some adjustments and glue it together.  



The next one will be made out of a harder wood.  The Spanish cedar (at my skill level) was a poor choice I think.  In my gut, I thought I might be able to pull it off.  In this case, I flew too close to the sun and my wings melted.  I am not happy about this.  I probably have over 40 hours invested in the project.  However, no one died, I will have something I can keep pens, etc on my desk, AND I will be making another one out of more suitable wood.  Leaning towards cherry (a wood I am very comfortable working with).  I bought a piece of nice genuine mahogany but not sure I want to try another new wood on this project.

By the way, it's kind of nice making something at the same time someone else is doing it.  There are all kinds of little battles and mini-victories in woodworking.  Nice to be able to share it with someone.  This summer I am taking my first woodworking class ever.  Looking forward to see what that experience is like.

3 comments:

  1. The two cracks on the ends do look rather brutal. Any ideas on what caused them? I can't see how using cauls from the ends would do something like that? Did you find them after the box had set up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ralph. I head the wood crack and give way during the glue up. My two leading theories are that 1. cauls not a perfect match to the fragile wood and put undue pressure in some spots 2. during glue up things didn't want to slip and slide into place as wood swelled and the Spanish cedar too fragile relative to other woods on this.

      I will build another one. Likely out of cherry which I have a lot of experience with and I don't think I will have the same problem.

      Delete
    2. Sawed open the carcass today (05Jun). The piece didn't fall apart. I used some cauls and put a lot of liquid hide glue in the various cracks. I will know tomorrow how it comes up. My best guess is that it will be structurally ok and just a wee bit damaged looking. That's ok. I will either keep it for my personal use of give it to my daughter who will love it as is. The really good news is that my wife is a graphic artist (went to art school in the 1990s). She really likes seeing marks of the maker in art and craft. As such, she isn't bothered by any of this. Still, I will make at least one more for her. I've settled on the wood. The top and bottom will be genuine mahogany. The sides will be figured maple (if I can find some). I will initially finish with linseed oil then shellac. I plan to make one of these a year as it is a good skill challenging project.

      Delete