14 May 2022

Joys of "Repurposing" a Tool

 I am not a minimalist tools worker.  I am not a tool collector.  I have excess tools for sure but I try and keep it under control.  When I started woodworking, my first hand plane I purchased was a Lie-Nielsen 4-1/2.  It's a good hand plane and I mostly used that for the first few years.  As I've grown in my woodworking, I have purchased more planes.  Generally speaking, I use a No 4 with a heavily cambered plane as a "scrub" to remove the bulk of the wood, then a No 5 jack to straighten, then a No 3 to do the final smoothing.  I like this three plane set up that I use.  On occasion, I use a No 8 or a formal scrub plane as needed.  The No 4-1/2 doesn't fit with what I normally do.  



For a while, I debated selling it.  When I ended up doing was purchasing a 55 degree frog for it.  As such, it was going to be my dedicated hand plane when I faced grain that was tearing out.  I am glad I didn't sell the plane and kept it for this purpose.  Rather recently, I am in the process of making a Krenov style cabinet that was feature in Popular Woodworking Feb 2022 issue.  The body and door is made of cherry.  In the door "panel" I am using a nice piece of figured maple for contrast.  My routine planes were all giving tear out on this figured maple.  I whipped out the high angle frog plane and the tear out was tamed.  I was quite happy by this.  I may not use my No 4-1/2 much anymore but when I do it often solves the problem.  Glad I kept it and repurposed it rather than selling it.   Now what to do with all the chisel sets I have .....

2 comments:

  1. keep them! Have you thought of getting a toothing iron? I have one I use in my LV low angle jack followed by the #3. I also have a LN 4 1/2 with a high angle frog that I use for figured woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ralph. I will likely keep them. They don't take up that much room and I can always give them to my daughter or have an away set kept at my father in law's mountain. Worse problems to have in life.

      Yes, I have considered getting a toothing blade as well as a highly cambered No 5 blade just so I have more versatility. What I would really like to do is get the 55 degree frog for my No 3 daily user. Since the No 3 is a smoothing plane, it has a fine set and I don't think I would mind much the extra effort to push it through the wood.

      Delete