07 May 2022

My 10 year old did a mortise and tenon joint all by herself - proud papa

My wife and I try and encourage our 10 year old to do something other than sit in front of electronics.  With some strong nudging, she will get off the electronics and do art (wife is an artist) and woodwork (my big hobby).  At 10 I don't have a lot of expectations.  I just want her to find it "fun."  I know she has listened and in theory knows how do do things  This past weekend, she was in the shop woodworking.  I had already gone in the house.  I checked on her but didn't want to hover,  I wanted to let her explore.  She made "this."  When I asked I got two different answers over a few days.  The first was it was a hoe for the garden.  The second was it was a nail puller.





I am a proud papa.  She did it almost all by herself.  The only help she asked for was how to remove the wedge of wood as the coping saw was working well (more on that later).  At one point, I had checked in and she was working on a mortise and tenon.  Yup, my little daughter made her very one half inch deep mortise and tenon.  The real kicker, she was made it out of ash!  It's why the coping saw didn't work so well earlier.  Ash is incredibly hard wood.  When she had started I suggested different wood such as pine but she had made up her mind.  This "tool" is now handing proudly on my wall in the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment